- RSS Channel Showcase 6323252
- RSS Channel Showcase 1433915
- RSS Channel Showcase 9318579
- RSS Channel Showcase 9804060
Articles on this Page
- 12/06/12--13:31: _Reader: ‘I’d drive ...
- 04/01/13--13:22: _Carriers watching y...
- 07/23/14--11:51: _Video witnesses: Ho...
- 09/15/16--14:32: _Dashcam video monit...
- 09/21/16--11:31: _One year in: Lytx A...
- 09/29/16--07:37: _New ‘always-on’ in-...
- 09/30/16--07:54: _POLL: Is there a vi...
- 11/30/16--07:01: _SmartDrive’s ‘Exten...
- 10/31/17--07:40: _SmartDrive multi-ca...
- 12/06/12--13:31: Reader: ‘I’d drive naked!’— More on in-cab facial video monitoring
- 04/01/13--13:22: Carriers watching you, and why that might not be the worst thing
- 07/23/14--11:51: Video witnesses: Honoring the privacy bargain with drivers
- 09/21/16--11:31: One year in: Lytx ActiveVision camera system
- 09/29/16--07:37: New ‘always-on’ in-cab video system
- 09/30/16--07:54: POLL: Is there a video camera in or on your truck?
- 10/31/17--07:40: SmartDrive multi-cam video platform to detect fatigue/distraction
Readers respond to the question "Would you drive if your carrier had a camera pointed at your face or the road?" Sound off yourself here.
Video monitoring is a trickier subject than it originally appears, especially when truck drivers are exonerated for accidents they would otherwise would be blamed for. However, is the constant presence of video monitoring worth the benefits?
Privacy worries over dual road- and driver-facing video systems in trucks are being mitigated, makers say, by a bargain with drivers to be "minimally invasive." More on systems' utility for small fleets in Part 2 of this feature here.
The Netradyne company provided video as an example of some of the articial-intelligence capabilities within its new four-camera Driver-i platform, an on-highway video monitoring platform geared toward driver rewards.
One year after its introduction, the Lytx ActiveVision multi-camera system with "machine vision" tech has been taken up by Swift Transportation, YRC, Melton Truck Lines and Cargo Transporters, among others, the company says.
Lytx, maker of the DriveCam system of forward- and in-cab-facing video systems capturing events by triggers, is now offering what it calls an "always-on," cloud-based video platform called Unisyn.
Do you or your fleet utilize any single camera or a combination of cameras for event-capture or driver-monitoring purposes? Weigh in here.
In a press briefing with reporters, coming just two weeks after NTSB's first call for a mandate for video recorder use, SmartDrive reps noted any mandate would be long in coming but that a belief in the power of video in highway safety "is certainly our position."
SmartDrive's new SmartSense for Distracted Driving program, available in Q1 2018, employs video/processing power to detect "distraction, inattention or drowsiness." When the system does, it "triggers a video, which is prioritized and offloaded for immediate verification and intervention."